June 1, 2011

Chicken Orzo Soup

I love a good soup. Especially when it's unexpected. I've never had a bad meal at this restaurant, but I was fairly indifferent when I ordered the chicken orzo with my lunch entree. It was one of those, 'Oh, it comes with a soup? Sure...why not?' moments that I now look back on and laugh at, since with just one bite they converted me from 'indifferent' to 'completely, madly in love with.'

The first spoonful of this soup will make you sit up and take notice. The flavor is simple - and simply - "bright." The slight creaminess is a nice backdrop for what can really only be described as a bright burst of ingredients - the soup is decidedly chicken, but then - out of nowhere! - there is a real zing of lemon. It's completely unexpectedly, and doesn't dull as you dig deeper into your cup. It's brilliant. The orzo contributes to give a nice body to the soup, and the carrots and a subtle sweetness. This is the perfect soup to precede a meal, warm up to on a cold day, or even enjoy in the summertime, given the strong lemon presence. It isn't overwhelming, but should really be included in the name since it plays such an important role of this soup.

Where you can (and definitely should) enjoy this yourself:

Canal Street Grille
27 East Afton Avenue
Yardley, Pennsylvania
www.canalstreetyardley.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog